Just for the Guys
Pregnancy is life-changing for everyone involved. At Care Net, we’re here to support you, the expecting father, too. You are welcome to come in for free peer counseling, parenting classes, as well as assistance with diapers and other baby items.
So you think she might be pregnant? Here’s some quick advice that may help:
- Listen: the situation involves more than just you.
- Stay calm: she needs your support now more than ever.
- Talk about it: not only with each other, but prepare to talk with parents and others close to the situation. Hiding the news from people who can genuinely help you only increases the stress.
- Gather all the facts: get all the information and seek wise counsel so you can make the best decision for both of you.
- Express yourself honestly: it’s normal to have feelings of anger, frustration and fear. But make sure she knows she’s not alone.
- Don’t bail: the more you run from this, the harder it becomes to think and act clearly.
- Don’t pressure her: applying pressure will only push her away. You will do well to work together as a team.
- Don’t forget: you have a very active role in this situation. Listen to input and don’t be afraid to share your thoughts.
Research suggests that men may experience a profound sense of loss following abortion. The most common problems experienced by post-abortive men are anger, helplessness, guilt, relationship problems and grief. Given the magnitude of their loss, it is normal for men to struggle with these. It’s not uncommon for men to repress their own negative emotions as they try to be a strong support to their partners. This may make it more difficult for men to recognize and deal with their painful emotions. However, if such feelings aren’t resolved, they may lead to more serious consequences such as depression or an inability to maintain healthy relationships.
CareNet offers post-abortion peer counseling for men as well as women. As with all of our services, this counseling is free and confidential. If you’re a man who has been hurt by abortion, there is hope and there is healing.